Eglise de Herve

  • Eglise herve

Dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Saint John the Baptist, this church has a tower dating back to the 13th century. The high walls are 2.5 to 3 m thick, as the huge tower used to form part of the fortress that defended the town.

The church dates back to the 17th century. The transept and the lateral naves were made in 1625 and 1626, the choir in 1653.

The 17th century steeple is also very high, as a smaller steeple would have been out of place in such a big tower. The 49 m high steeple was made from a few age-old oaks taken from the neighbouring forests and the edges turn so as to offer less resistance to the wind. It is called the "spiral steeple".

It became a listed monument on 15 March 1934.

  • Touring languages :
    • French
loading
Directions to :
Rue du Collège
4650
Herve
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 50.6394
Longitude : 5.7952
Contact
Rue du Collège
4650
Herve
  • Languages spoken :
    • French