The site on which the cultural center is located is the birthplace of the Gallo-Roman `vicus´ (a medium-sized built up area 1616-1824). A substantial farm (8th – 16th centuries), a convent and a school of the Sepulchrine order predated various schools of which the Royal Athenée of Visé (1936-1983) is the last. The cultural center of Visé has occupied the building since 1989 and the museum, run by the S.R.A.H.V. (Société Royale Archéo Historique de Visé) is one its main units.
The building was rebuilt by the architect Thuillier in 1925 after a fire on15 August 1914. It retains its 17th century `mosan´ (Meuse region) style of the Renaissance, with casement windows, limestone rims, double beamed anchoring irons, various materials, rounded gate. It is currently located on the 1st floor of the East wing of the building, next to the garden of the ancient cloister and close to the chapel which is used for temporary exhibitions. The chapel gate, a bas relief, and the tower (17th century), are period pieces, the remainder was reconstructed to almost exact copy."
Open from Tuesday to Sunday (2 pm - 6 pm) during the exhibitions
Closed on Mondays, from 20 December to 10 January and during the week preceding and following an exhibition
Open day the first Sunday of the months from February to November (2pm-5pm)
Guided visits for groups (10 to 30 persons)
Duration : 30 to 90 min.
Open for school by appointment. Leaflet on request.
- Touring languages :
- Réception de groupes :
- Groups welcome
- Minimum number of people 10
- Maximum number of people 30
- Visites pour groupes :
- Visites groupes
- Guided tours for groups (on request)
- Facilities/Services :
- Languages spoken :
- Autre(s) langue(s) Wallon