In the 14th century, in the fief "du Larron", the Rocky Mountains were mined for iron ore and calamine. At that time, the owner of the fief was free to exploit the subsoil on condition that he denounced and hanged thieves arrested in the Franchimont area. Thus, for a long time, the exploitation of minerals had made the wealth of Theux.
In the Middle Ages, the men worked on the farm in summer and in the iron mines in winter. The ore was destined for the numerous forges in Theux. This is remembered in several places: les Mines, le ruisseau des Minières, les Vieilles Mines, le fond des Minières, etc.
Afterwards, the Rocheux became inactive for almost 400 years.
Around 1850, Aristide Dethier put the Rocheux and Oneux mines back on the map by mining them again. The company extracted iron, ferruginous pyrite, calamine and galena (lead ore).
In 1862, an international jury at the World Exhibition in London awarded the du Rocheux et d'Oneux company a patent and a 1st class medal for the quality of its products.
- Touring languages :